Monday, June 30, 2008

Our Trip










We had such a fun trip to Alaska. I could go on and on about how beautiful it is. These pictures really do not show how exquisitely breathtaking the landscape is. Mt. McKinley is massive. Denali State Park is gorgeous! We went horse back riding, white water river rafting, ATV ridding, and gold panning. We went on a river boat cruise, and Mike and the boys went salmon fishing. Peter caught a 25lb salmon! One afternoon, we went to the Husky Homestead. This is where 4 time Iditarod champion dog musher, Jeff King, lives and trains his dogs. We got to hold 3 week old puppies! We saw the dogs go on a training run, and the sled used in the race.
This time of year, it does not get dark in Alaska. It was very strange to never see darkness. The sun would set below the horizon, but it never looked like night. At 2 am, it looked more like 7pm. If you wanted to, you could schedule a tee time at midnight, or sign up for a midnight 10k race. The food was delicious! Lots of fresh seafood, and yummy cobblers for desert.
We never saw any bears, but we heard plenty of stories about people who did! We did see a few moose, reindeer, and foxes. It rained a few days, but we were very lucky with several sunny and warm days. Apparently, Mt. McKinley makes its own weather, so we were lucky that we got to see it. I thought this fact was fun: Winter in Alaska is beyond cold....school kids don't get a snow day unless temps reach 50 below zero!
There is so much to experience in Alaska. There are places we did not get to, like Glacier Bay, that we would love to see. I'd love to go back again one day. It was an awesome family vacation!

5 comments:

mandt said...

I'm so glad you guys had a great vacation! I would love to see Alaska one day - that's on our list of hopeful destinations. I bet the hiking is awesome.

Kim said...

HOW FUN!!!!
Love the pictures.. Looks and sounds like a WONDERFUL time...
That salmon is HUGE..
I have a good friend who lives in Alaska and is begging us to come... We will one day.. Hopefully after Ms. Isabella is home..
HUGS..
Glad you are back..

Gail said...

The pictures are just amazing...so beautiful. I can tell you all had a great time.
I am very glad you're back though.
Check out my blog, I tagged you!

Brandi said...

Alaska looks absolutely beautiful! I want to go!

Check out that salmon! Oh my goodness...that thing is huge!

I have always wanted to go dog-sledding. I think it looks like fun, but I don't think I'd enjoy the cold weather much.

Glad you had a great trip & welcome back!

Angie said...

WOW!! Your pictures are wonderful and it looks like you all had a great vacation! I, too, would love to see Alaska one day. Beautiful!!
Welcome back!